Community Outreach, Partnership & Advocacy
We partner with other community organizations to organize Africans in the DMV area. Working with local state & county government, to advise on needs & concerns of Southern Africans and other African communities.
We also partner with other organizations to increase the visibility and representation of our region at regional, continental or American events in our surrounding communities.
- African Immigrant Caucus (AIC). We currently have members that are actively engaged with the
- Montgomery County Board. We currently have members involved in the Montgomery county local county African group.
- Southern Africans for American Immigration Reform (SAFAIR). Our project aims at sensitizing Southern Africans about the immigration reform bill as well as current immigration issues. Ensuring that Southern Africans are represented at immigration rallies, events, and debates.
- Community Outreach. This includes increasing the visibility and inclusion of Southern Africans in the D.C metro area. SACU has participated in the “KAG Lotus and Water Lily Festival”.
- Visibility Project. SACU directors regularly attend local area events in order to represent Southern African countries so that the presence of our countries is more visible at Regional, African, international or American events. We also support events hosted by fellow Southern African countries through patronage of Southern African Country events. In the past, we have attended Africa Day, Nigerian Embassy events, Malawi Washington Foundation launch, and other events.
- Information Resource. Through our social media platforms, we keep our communities informed about events, scholarship opportunities, employment opportunities, free services and other opportunities that may benefit them.